Turmeric is one of the most well-known, widely researched, and commonly used Ayurvedic spices in the world. There’s hardly a system in the body that isn’t supported by the powerful antioxidant qualities of this wonder herb.
Check out the health benefits and medicinal properties of turmeric.
Medicinal Properties of turmeric
- It is Bitter and Pungent (Tikta & Katu ) in Taste with dryness and lightness( Ruksha and laghu) qualities.
- It undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion Katu vipaka)
- Its nature is hot (Ushna Veerya )
- Effect on Tridosha – because of its hotness, it balances Vata and Kapha. Because of its dryness, pungent and bitter taste, it balances Kapha. Due to bitterness, it balances Pitta. Hence it balances all the three Doshas.
- Dosage- fresh juice 10-20 ml, powder 1-3 grams
HEALTH BENEFITS OF TURMERIC –
- The antioxidant properties of turmeric give us young looks. It reduces inflammation in joints, protects the heart, reduces cholesterol and keeps us healthy.
- Diabetes-It lowers the blood sugar and increases glucose metabolism. It clears ama, kapha and excess fat tissue in Diabetes
- Liver-It purifies blood and prevents it from clotting. It is extensively used to protect the liver from toxins and microbial action. Turmeric increases the secretion of bile and promotes its free flow. Turmeric can also be used to overcome the toxic effects of alcohol on liver. It also reduces cholesterol and protects the heart. Use half a teaspoon of turmeric with warm water to rejuvenate the liver and expel toxins from it.
- Osteoarthritis-Because of its ability to reduce inflammation, turmeric may help relieve the symptoms of osteoarthritis
- Digestive system- Curcumin, for example, one of the active ingredients in turmeric, induces the flow of bile, which helps break down fats.
- Atherosclerosis-Turmeric may also prevent platelet build up along the walls of an injured blood vessel
- Respiratory system- Turmeric is very effective in treating bronchitis, productive cough and asthma.
- One spoon of turmeric boiled in milk should be consumed with a spoon of pure ghee in conditions like bronchitis, asthma and productive cough. This gives very good relief and expectorates excessively produced mucous in lungs.
- Turmeric initiates a regular menstrual cycle and reduces menstrual cramps.
- Turmeric enhances digestion, normalizes metabolism and expels intestinal parasites
- Turmeric accelerates the healing process and readily reduces pain and inflammation. A thick paste of turmeric applied on wounds acts as an excellent antibiotic and anti-inflammatory for the skin, smoothes it, and prevents many skin ailments